Just for the Month of November

I had planned to take most of the month of November (after the U.S. Presidential election) off from drinking. This is something that I have done countless times. Due to my family history of alcoholism, I've taken at least a month off of drinking, at least once a year, since my early 20s. Why? To make sure that I can. 

Every time I have done this it has been hard. Not physically hard, but emotionally and mentally hard. I always feel like I'm missing out, things aren't as fun, and I'm counting down the days until my self-imposed break is over. This time however, it hasn't felt like that. In fact, from the beginning, it has felt mostly good and easy. I started thinking that this could possibly be a forever thing. And for the first time in my life, the thought of not drinking forever...doesn't make me sad. 

There are only three people that know about this current break. My husband who is taking November off with me, my friend who has been sober for almost two years, and my best friend. None of my friends would be surprised to hear about me taking a break from alcohol. My long-term friends are used to that by now. They would be surprised to hear me say that I don't plan to ever drink again.

November is coming to an end, and I have no desire to drink anytime soon. I suspect that each day I add to my "break," the less likely it is that I will ever drink again. Although saying "never" feels really big. The two people that I was most scared to tell that I might not ever drink again, were my husband and my best friend. My favorite drinking buddies. They both responded perfectly and beautifully. My husband is a joker and said "Cool! You can be my designated driver. Think about all the money we will save at restaurants, on vacations, and on Lyfts/Ubers!" My best friend said "You don't need alcohol to be fun. Your personality is the same with or without it. Keep going!" These responses were a huge relief and weight off of my shoulders! 

Tomorrow is December. 

Comments

  1. As someone who is well acquainted with alcoholism through multiple family members, I applaud your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I relate to your post. I, too, have done numerous take a month off just to make sure I can. And have family history. This time I quit for 30 days the Sunday after RBG died. I noticed my weekend wine had started to increase--and that freaked me out. That said--it's almost six months now...and I'm seeking ways to build community. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are we twins?! That was a big imbibing weekend for me and husband as well. The alcohol certainly didn't help with those emotions! I'm so excited that you found my blog - now I can read your story as well!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts