Best Christmas Gift Ever

 

Today is my daughter's tenth birthday! One of my husband's favorite stories to tell, is about when we left the hospital after she was born. We stayed in the hospital for two nights. I sobbed when we packed up our belongings, and all the way home in the car. I was so sad that a chapter of her life and my new Mommyhood was already over - the hospital stay. 

Ten years later, while I'm elated for her, I'm sad that the single digit chapter is already over. And, I'm sad about how fast that flew by. Assuming that she goes off to college, I have eight + more years to soak her in at home, and to have the greatest influence on her. This is the big picture. This is my guiding light. 

I love that her and I can now snuggle up and read our chapter books together. I love how our conversations are changing, and how we are learning what we have in common in regards to preferences and taste. While I can't wait for my kids to go safely back to school, this time at home has been so special. 

My first of these last 49 days was on my son's 7th birthday. On her 10th birthday, I'm quietly celebrating 7 weeks. One day they will know about my gift to them that couldn't be wrapped. 

Today, we celebrate the greatest Christmas gift I've ever received. Due on Christmas day, arriving one day early. We celebrate her independent spirit, her introverted nature, her zany ways, the natural nurturer that she is, her intelligence, athleticism, humor and creativity. I'm honored to be her Mom. 

Comments

Popular Posts