I Did It!

Last night was my first social gathering since I quit drinking. We hung out at a distance around a campfire. I was a little grumpy about going and not drinking, but I knew I wasn't going to cave. I had a perfect excuse (not that I needed one). I was the Designated Driver. I've managed to get through life with very little DD responsibilities. It's probably about time I pay my dues!

Once I got through saying that I wasn't drinking, and got my sparkling water...I knew that there was no going back. I got a little jealous every time my husband filled up his glass. However, he has only drank 2/37, days which I am thrilled about!

The great thing about the couple that we were hanging out with, is that they really don't care if someone is drinking or not. The wife is not much of a drinker (I always drank a lot more than her before). I don't even know what was in her cup last night, she may have not had any alcohol either. I have to remember that most people aren't paying attention or care about what you are drinking. Especially as the night goes on. 

One thing that I know for sure, is that if I had drank at their house, I would have wanted to stop at the store on the way home for more. In fact, that is exactly what my husband wanted me to do on the way home. I stayed up late, but I did it sober reading a good book in bed. I woke up well-rested and feeling proud of myself. 

This couple and setting was an easy test-run. They are super chill, I don't have a long history of drinking with them, my not drinking is not emotional for them (as it likely will be for some of my friends), and it was an intimate setting (much preferred over parties with people I don't know well). That being said, it still started the building blocks of confidence that I'll need to keep going in social settings. 

Comments

Popular Posts