Been There, Done That

I have been gluten free (GF) since August 2020. This isn't the first time that I tried to give up gluten. The last time was motivated by others suggesting that I'm intolerant to gluten. I wasn't sure, but decided to give it a try for vanity (skin condition) reasons. I made it three months. Back then, there were small GF sections in grocery stores. That felt like the extent of the ease of being GF. 

Now, motivated by physical discomfort when I consume gluten, the GF life is a lot easier. Restaurants have multiple GF dishes listed on their menu - labeled GF. GF labels on sauces and other items are everywhere. I also use a GF app (Find Me GF) that didn't exist before. It is a huge bonus that my husband has discovered a love of cooking, and making me GF dishes!

Similarly, I've taking countless breaks from drinking. The restaurant industry and alcohol free (AF) options continue to make sober life easier. Restaurants are more likely to have yummy mocktails that aren't just geared towards kids. There are so many more AF beer and wine brands than ever before. I've only tried two different kinds of AF beer and one AF wine. I didn't care for them, and haven't tried any since. However, I might give it another go in a party setting. 

There are so many more Quit Lit books - a trend that I suspect will continue. There are countless sober blogs (thanks for reading mine)! It seems that choosing to be sober is becoming less taboo. Especially if you are 38. I am in awe of the growing number of college students that I'm reading about who have decided that alcohol does not serve them. Navigating college life and/or the dating scene sober, would be a lot more challenging than being a 38-year-old married Mom. 

When your choices are intrinsically motivated and you are ready to make changes, the world (and hopefully your family and friends) will adjust! 



Comments

Popular Posts