Captive Audience

Years ago, I remember hearing a Mom/Grandma say that she did most of her parenting in the car. That made a lot of sense to me back then, and I do a lot of that now. Nobody can go anywhere, or storm off and slam a door, and your kids have the added benefit of not having to look at their parents in the car. Sometimes, you are more brave while looking out the window. 

Today, my daughter and I got our nails done. This is an activity that we had occasionally done pre-covid. I decided today that this will be a monthly activity. It's something that we both love to do, I love seeing her hardworking gymnast feet and calves get massaged, and it gives us a lot of time to talk. 

My weekends are now about connecting, self-care, pampering and recharging instead of an excuse to drink. Now that I have a new job and I don't spend my money on alcohol, there is more money (and time) to do the things that energize me instead of deplete me. I'm proud of the me that I am becoming, and the example that I am setting for my kids. 

I think everyone has heard the saying "Create a life that you don't need a vacation from or don't need/want to escape from." I feel like I'm doing that. Although I will always welcome an annual vacation or two, I don't want to escape from my life or myself. 

Comments

  1. Great post! I feel as if I'm doing the same..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SoberSeeker! Thanks for dropping by and saying "Hello!" I'm so excited to read your blog, and to have a fellow newbie on here with me!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts