Feeling It

 

The waves continue. Hubby and I went on another date on Friday night. It was the first time getting in the car and heading out on a date/out to dinner that it didn't feel weird/sad/boring to not drink. Dinner was amazing. Alcohol was served there but neither of us missed it. After dinner we went shopping at Lowe's and for some reason, that was so much fun for both of us. I got houseplants and a hanging outdoor plant, he picked out a little outdoor fire set and a new BBQ for Father's day. 

Saturday we hung out with my friends from middle/high school. The location and the particular friends were triggering. In the past we would have been so excited, cracking drinks open right away. Our time together was fun without alcohol, but it was still a first for me. First time hanging out with that friend that I loved to drink with, and first time being at that place sober. 

Hubby and I had some great conversations on the drive home. They were a little intense and emotional. He shared that at three months, this is the longest he's ever been sober. This is the longest that he has consistently felt all the day-to-day feelings without escaping from any of them. I shared that it's now not hard at all in our day-to-day lives. I don't miss drinking at home in the least. However, every time we do something new, or with people I used to love to drink with, it brings up waves of emotions. 

I welcome those new experiences with people that I love and whom I loved to drink with. All it takes is creating new memories and associations that involve me being sober. The other person doesn't have to be sober, I just need the sober experiences to continue to build momentum. Then, after several times of hanging out and having fun without alcohol, those nostalgic waves will calm. It will be the new normal. 

Comments

Popular Posts