Cycle

I have been having periods every month (minus pregnancies and nursing) for twenty-eight years.  I have had eight periods since I quit drinking. I have never been so aware and in-tune with my cycle, PMS symptoms, the source of my emotions and how to deal with them. I tend to either need complete rest, or I have a restless energy that needs to move and be productive. 

It's easy to ignore so much when you are drinking. Alternatively, attributing experiences and feelings to incorrect sources is also effortless. Sober, I know why I am feeling the way I am and I just let myself feel it. I can communicate to my husband that I'm feeling highly irritated but it's not him, I just need to go be grumpy in the bubble bath. Sober, he is more in tune with what I need/want and how to avoid friction - LOL. 

I have more compassion for myself. I'm setting boundaries in more intentional and communicative ways. I'm teaching my kids about how important it is to learn what our boundaries are, how to set boundaries with others, and how to recharge our batteries. We talk about how that looks different for different people. What depletes and energizes me, won't necessarily be the same for them. 

It's funny that I am just now becoming present and in-tune with my own cycle, and before I know it, my daughter will begin hers. Then I'll have two cycles to navigate!

Comments

Popular Posts