Just Keep Swimming

I'm still here! Still sober. I was busy enjoying the summer and not prioritizing writing. I've been meaning to write for a couple of weeks now. Today the need to write was so strong that I had no choice. 

We went to the lake at the end of July. Something that we've done for the past few summers. One of my best and generous friends has property there, and she graciously invites my family. Those trips always involved sitting in the sun drinking, drinking around the campfire, drinking on the boat and drinking in the lake. Doing it all sober was surprisingly not very difficult, with the exception of getting in the cold lake water. I am happy to have created sober memories at this special spot. 

In early August, we went on a vacation that we booked when we were still drinking. The airport and plane were easy. That was shocking because we've always loved drinking at airports and on planes. There were two days of the trip that were hard. The rest was not difficult at all. Vacations have always felt like a whirlwind. This one felt long enough. We were completely present throughout the whole experience. Time moved at a normal pace, instead of an alcohol induced fast-forward pace. It was the best sleep of my life. I have never woken up feeling more well rested. 

Normal life continues to be relatively easy. It's the outliers and nostalgia that get uncomfortable. Yesterday, we celebrated my childhood friend's 40th birthday. I picked up my best friend from the airport, our other childhood best friends were there, and people we haven't seen since high school. Watching them take shots together was hard. Something that we all used to do together when we were way too young to be drinking. I strategically stayed the first three hours of the party (1:00-4:00 PM). They were still going strong at 2:00 AM. I did feel like I was missing out and it was emotional. 

When I got home from the party, I happened to see a post from the friend that inspired me to quit. She was on day 1,000. That was good timing. I'm so grateful to her for being the first of people that I know (besides my Dad) to decide enough is enough. I'm almost at 300 days. My husband is closing in on six months. She inspired me, and we inspired my husband. Not sure who else I will inspire, but I know it's so helpful to see other people show you it is possible. 

Comments

Popular Posts