Gathering Information

When we returned from vacation, I got the number for my Dad's case worker from the Oncology department. I called her from work during my lunch break the following Monday. I was really trying to stay calm. I just needed to learn the facts, figure out the treatment plan, and get going as soon as possible. 

I learned that the internal melanoma was in his rectum and it was a rare cancer. Things had changed since he had cancer years before. They can now run tests that will determine the most effective course of treatment before you start. The bad news, is that it takes several weeks to get the results. I knew in my gut that every day that passed, the less likely the treatment was going to make a difference. 

As I was pacing back and forth in front of the building where I work, I asked the case worker the question I didn't really want an answer to. I could barely choke out the words "I see my parents pretty often. They are very involved my kids lives. Should I be trying to spend more time with my Dad?" Her response was "This is a very mean cancer. I would spend as much time with him as you can."

I called my parents and told them that I had spoken to the case worker. I told them that she said it could take several weeks to get the results back from the test. When we do, we will know the treatment that will give us our biggest bang for our buck to beat this thing. 

I called my husband and bawled - still pacing back and forth in front of my office. I took several deep breaths, wiped my tears, and went back in to work. 

Comments

Popular Posts