Competition Season

 

January - April is gymnastics competition season. Nearly every other weekend is consumed with local or travel competitions. 

At this point, I was going to my parent's house every Tuesday and Thursday after work, and one weekend day. I'd go sit on the couch that my Dad was laying on, and enjoy a Coke Zero from their fridge. Occasionally, I'd get sucked in to Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune and stay longer.  

We'd chat about our days, I'd unload/load the dishwasher, and take out any garbage/recycling. As incredibly important as this was, this wasn't an easy thing to do. 

When you work full-time as a parent, every minute of the day is precious. There is only so much time for dinner, chores, homework, school communication/coordination, team communication/coordination, exercise, down-time, connection with your spouse and sleep. I knew that my visits were the highlight of his day, and waiting for my next one was difficult for him. 

When competition season began, I didn't know how I was going to do it all. Taking care of my Dad, physically and mentally, was a big job even at this point. This was when he could still walk on his own, and was taking care of himself the best he could in the bathroom. I felt so guilty for not always being able to be there three times a week, and for my Mom to have to do it on her own.

This period of time is when my Mother-in-Law really stepped up. At first, it was her light-hearted visits with donuts that brightened both of their days. When we were out of town, I felt so much better knowing both of my parents had her visits to look forward to. 

When we'd leave for gymnastics weekends, we'd take my daughter's fish over to my parent's house. We hoped that the added stimulation, and easy but important responsibility, was a good thing for my parents when we were gone. 

One of the competitions was in Vegas. My Dad gave me $20 to gamble for him. I won $75.45. He was so pleased and amused! He said I was going to quit my job and go pro. 

This gymnastics season was the worst my daughter had experienced up until that point. I don't know if it was because of time-off from COVID, because of what we were going through with her Grandpa, or a combination of both. She lost her confidence. 

At the last competition of the season, she had finally qualified for the State competition - her goal for the season. At State, she won 2nd place on Vault. She was able to call Grandpa immediately after she got off the podium to tell him. He understood and was so proud. 

Comments

Popular Posts