The Lasts

The fall of 2021 was the last time my Dad left his home without a medical reason. This was the season when he took my daughter to gymnastics for the last time. It was the last time he made the painful trip to baseball practice/games, where I helped him from his car with his camp chair. You could see the pain on his face while trying to be present and enjoy watching his son-in-law coach and his grandson play. 

My Mom and my son have birthdays a day a part. We went out to dinner to celebrate their birthdays. That was the last time my Dad went out to eat - something he really enjoyed. I remember when he had to go to the bathroom, I felt like a Mom of a preschooler going to the bathroom by themselves. I walked down the hall with him (with his cane) and stood outside the bathroom - not sure what I'd even do if he needed anything. 

I didn't think these events were going to be the last time my Dad enjoyed the activities that he loved. I thought he would get better. The treatment would work, shrink the tumor, drastically reduce his pain, and he would get his life back. He believed this too. There was no give up in him. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts